It’s official - I’m writing a new crochet blanket course!!
If you’ve worked with me before, this new project will feel both familiar and challenging – and if you’re new to my crochet courses – well, brace yourself for a crochet experience like no other!
Since 2018 I’ve been steadily building a collection of crochet projects aimed at discerning crafters – like you!
Each of my courses builds on the previous one, enabling me, and everyone I work with, to steadily build our skills and learn as we make.
HOMAGE TO THE GRANNY SQUARE is an inquisitive journey into colour, opening up new ways of looking at, and thinking about, colour combinations.
WALLFLOWERS is an exploration of six sided shapes, mirror repeats and the importance of tonal values in design.
GLORIA continues the investigation into flower motifs and ‘join as you go’ techniques.
TESSELLATION NATION is a new crochet blanket course which will bring together many of these techniques and processes – with the additional option of designing your own composition.
This unique course is a compilation of knowledge and skills that I’ve built up over three decades of teaching and it will do so much more than provide a set of instructions for making a crochet blanket.
I’m currently in the process of developing and writing this new course, so at this stage, information is still limited but.....
This is what I CAN tell you right now:
- I’ll guide you through the process of developing your own colour palette so your work is guaranteed to be drop dead gorgeous!
- I’ll show you how to explore different compositions so your design work is always balanced and well composed.
- Course content will include templates you can colour in to experiment with different motifs and placements.
- I’ll provide you with a collection of crochet motifs all designed to tessellate (or fit together) perfectly allowing lots of different, and beautiful, configurations.
- You’ll build your confidence as a designer and a maker.
- I’ll encourage you to work with any yarn of your choice – including your existing stash!
- You’ll be part of a social network and global community of likeminded crafters.
- I’ll provide you with opportunities to organise your own real-life meet ups for support, conversations and yarn swaps.
- You can join regular live Q&A’s where you can chat with me and other course members about anything you like!
- Course content will also include audio podcasts designed to keep you on track and motivated throughout the project.
This new course launches in January 2024
THE COURSE STRUCTURE
I believe the best way to achieve amazing results (in anything) is to equip yourself with as much knowledge as you possibly can.
Good technical skills will only get you so far – in order to create work that has that elusive ‘wow factor’ you need an additional set of skills in your ‘craft tool kit’.
Understanding basic design principles will give you the knowledge and confidence to make beautiful work, and understand why it works.
So a significant amount of time will be spent at the beginning of this course learning about basic design principles and the more you engage with these workshops the more confident you’ll become with your design decisions.
If, however, you feel happier simply following a given pattern and formula, I’ll also provide this option. It really is completely up to you how you approach this project.
All practical lessons will include a video and downloadable PDF instructions.
PART ONE: DESIGN
Understanding the role tone value (dark & light) plays in design, with printable worksheets.
Exploring colour qualities, harmonies and relationships and the impact colour has on design.
Composition & Balance
Understanding composition and finding the right balance, with printable worksheets.
Introducing the tessellating shapes and exploring their design potential, with printable worksheets.
Bringing together the design principles to generate a series of potential final blanket designs.
*This is an optional step and you may choose to work with a given design template.
PART TWO: CONSTRUCTION
Order of Work
Planning the order of construction.
Making sets of Pentagon Circles.
Filling the sets of Pentagon Circles with Flowers
Begin working the background to join sets of pentagon circles together.
Making the star shapes.
Boats and Diamonds
Filling in the gaps with ‘boat’ and diamond shapes
Making the small 5 petal flowers
Making the medium sized 10 petal flowers
Making the large 10 petal flowers
Completing the Background
Filling in the remaining background
Straightening the Edges
Filling in the edges.
Working the Final Trim
Blocking and Finishing
How to block the finished blanket and potential display options.
And because this is still a work in progress……..
This is what I CAN’T tell you right now:
- Exactly what date the course will begin - I’m aiming for 16th January 2024.
- How much yarn you’ll need. I won’t know this until I’ve completed my first prototype. But it’s likely to be around 40 x 50gm balls of DK weight yarn.
- Exactly how long the course will last. I’m expecting it to be a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 8 months.
- Exact finished measurements. But it will be approximately 140cm x 180cm if worked in DK weight yarn.
I have a bit of a reputation for hitting the ground running – and the first launch of one of my courses is always a dive into the unknown!
But it’s the early birds and early adopters who set the tone and pace for my courses. It’s the brave ‘pioneers’ who make the first discoveries, who show me how it’s done; it’s possibilities and limitations and I’m always so excited to work with these curious souls.
So, if you’ve already worked with me on one my previous courses, or if you’re new here but have an open mind and a desire to break new ground I’m offering you the opportunity to pre-book for a, never to be repeated, special price!
- The early bird price will be available until midnight (GMT) on 15th September
- A special price will be available from 16th September to midnight (GMT) on 10th November.
- The full and final price will be available from 11th November until the course begins in January 2024, when a 6-month payment plan of £40 per month will also be available.
Bookings are open now!
Follow this course on Instagram with this hashtag:
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR & WHO IT’S NOT FOR
This Pilot Course is for you if:
- You enjoy new challenges and problem solving.
- You take responsibility for your own learning.
- You’re comfortable with the cost of the course and materials required.
- You’re kind to yourself and like to support others.
- You’re already a competent crocheter.
- You’re interested in the design process.
- You like to be an early adopter.
- You accept that as a pilot course there may sometimes be a delay in publishing content. (I won’t publish anything until I’m happy with it!)
This Pilot Course is NOT for you if:
- You need lots of 1-1 support.
- You have difficulty respecting online boundaries.
- The price of the course, and materials, would put you in financial difficulty.
- You’re super critical of yourself and others.
- You’re a complete beginner, or have only recently learned to crochet. (maybe do my Learn to Crochet course first!)
- You’re not interested in the process, you just want to make a blanket. (Try Ravelry for lots of lovely Crochet blanket patterns…..)
- You need to see other peoples finished projects to feel inspired.
- You get irritated if content isn’t published at the same time each week.
HOW WILL I ACCESS THE COURSE?
The course can be accessed through a password protected page on this website.
You’ll create an account when you checkout, and the course will be available to access in your personal course Library on the start date.JOIN NOW
Introducing Sue Maton
"My mission is to design contemporary crochet products that retain the values of traditional craft:
beautiful natural materials and good functional design.
I make products to be used and loved – and I’d like to help you do the same!"
WHY LEARN WITH ME?
- I have 30 years’ experience (eeek!! THIRTY!!!) of teaching textiles and art and design and understand that everyone has a completely unique learning style
- I’ve taught at every age and every level including Degree level, Masters, Further Education, Adult Education and in a Steiner School.
- I can break complicated things down into easy to understand instructions.
- I am immeasurably patient!!
- I don’t do upselling or affiliate marketing, I’ll just provide you with what you need to know.
- I don’t take myself too seriously and believe enjoyment and progress override perfection every time.
- If you’re reassured by qualifications; I have a degree in Knitwear Design, a Post graduate Diploma in Textiles, an MA in Textile Culture and a DTLL’s teaching qualification.
- I have a genuine passion and curiosity for a wide range of art and design disciplines (verging on the obsessive) and not just crochet!
Here’s what people are saying about my online crochet courses
"Dear Sue, I am thoroughly enjoying your courses. The Wallflower helped me move beyond my comfort zone and learn how to create a complex modular blanket. HTTGS has become a favourite project, with plans for several more to come. Creating all the squares before committing to the final layout is brilliant. It provides the opportunity to add, subtract and tweak the colour combinations to achieve the inspirational/vision. Even though I have been creating for most of my life, your colour theory lessons have taken my knowledge, the way I think about colour and how colours work together to several next levels. Knowing which colours to combine for the most impact and emotional response. You give us the freedom of choice but support that with an understanding of design and construction.
Your videos are very well done and provide step-by-step guidance. I reference them throughout the project over and over if I need further support on a stitch sequence etc. I look forward to Tuesdays and Fridays. Your inclusivity during our Zoom calls makes everyone feel their voice and experience are valued. You build a sense of community where it does not matter which level you are at; everyone is supported. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and gift of creation with us. I look forward to the release of your new design and will be signing up when the course is offered. Thank you also for allowing us to work through the process in a way that works for each of us."
"I am REALLY enjoying the course. I love to crochet. I have friends and family who appreciate that I crochet and knit, but they are not crocheting with me. It has been a joy to see everyone’s color choices and progress so far. That fact that I have new acquaintances working on the same project really adds to the enjoyment. The videos are absolutely lovely and your tutorials are very helpful and clear. I am an advanced crocheter, but I always learn something new or am reminded of something important when I watch tutorials, even those meant for beginners. Thank you for working hard to make this course of such high quality."
“The painstaking attention to detail Sue puts into her designs and the endless possibility of different colour combinations make all Sue's projects a delight and a fun challenge to make. Her videos, charts, graphs and written explanations are very clear and easy to follow, and she is always available and willing to help and go the extra mile to support you. Moreover, participating to making one of her projects, such as Gloria or Wallflowers, gives you the added bonus of feeling part of a large community of makers from all around the world, who share a sense of purpose and motivate each other in the process. Gloria, as well as Wallflowers, have been for me such great and inspirational experiences, and have helped me to refine my crochet, time management, and colour work skills, to mention just a few, and gave me the privilege to share with others like me.”
“For me Wallflowers started off as an interest in making a beautiful blanket I came across online with the hope I would also learn a few new skills along the way. I had no idea it would become this awesome journey of crochet, support, and inspiration.
Sue is an amazing teacher and creates a learning environment that is filled with joy and encouragement. Her well orchestrated videos and coordinating PDFs provide all the technical details necessary to complete each motif. Her choice of music combined with patient instructions enhances the experience.
This course has taken me on a journey that was nothing short of spectacular. I will be forever grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of a network of others that brought me so much enjoyment. Thank you so much Sue for creating this whole experience for us all. My completed blanket will be a constant reminder of this amazing course.”
“Sue's quality tutelage in videos, online, and zoom meetings that really gave me the courage and interest to join. Sue's personality and knowledge and her willingness to share her knowledge really make her courses extra special. I would recommend her courses to anyone interested in crochet - both beginner and experienced.”
“Thank you sooo much!!! I can’t begin to tell you how much I have thoroughly enjoyed your courses. You are such a wonderful teacher!! The videos are incredible and so well made!! I adore the music you use too!
You have a very special talent and I am so happy that I was able to finally be involved in your courses and the zoom meetings!! The pace for this course has been spot on for me too! I feel that you have balanced it out perfectly!!”
“ I would unconditionally recommend anyone to participate in HTTGS or Wallflowers. As a teacher of crochet Sue Maton is incredible. She offers an unparalleled opportunity to create heirloom pieces whatever your standard. There is something for every level.
Through HTTGS she is able to offer a learning experience whether you are a complete novice or an experienced hooker. Wallflowers takes this a step further with her unique design. As well as being a superb teacher of stitches and instructing in finishing techniques to make your work look beautifully professional, she offers her genius in colour combinations and blanket construction to all those who chose to learn with her. Her planning and attention to detail throughout her courses is phenomenal.
Each course has an extensive library of videos, paper based patterns, stitch diagrams and motivational audios. Providing perfect support materials to guide you through the work. Additionally learning with ‘The Mercerie’ is global. I have made lasting friendships and connections with like minded people all over the world.”